Breakfast is the most important meal of the day according to reaserach.
“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper” is a saying in India to maintain good health and weight.
Forget about eating like a king – in this busy lifestyle, we hardly have time to eat breakfast. On the days when the kids went to bed late, I let them sleep for little longer and if we get late to the school, we skip “proper, healthy” breakfast and I just feed a banana and a cheese to the kids while walking to school and then feel guilty for the whole day for not letting them sleep early, waking them up late and not feeding them a healthy breakfast!
Oat and Cereals usually takes a big role in our breakfast table and when Ready Brek introduced us to the New Super Smooth Oats, I couldn’t wait to try it.
Ready Brek is a great way to start the day in a healthy way and provides a nutritional morning meal for the whole family. It’s so easy to make and gives long lasting energy for children when going to school. It has no added sugar as per the label which makes you happy about not overloading your children with Sugar in the morning itself.
Ready Brek is also fortified with vitamins, iron and calcium. Calcium is important for healthy bones and teeth, while vitamin D is essential for a healthy immune system, proteins are great for healthy muscles and oat fibre is required for healthy digestion.
I usually make porridge which is very traditional and on those days when we are rushing to school in the morning, the Nutty, Fruity, Oaty, Tasty Cereal bar is something you will find us eating on the go!
- Oats - 1 cup
- Dates - 5 if bigger, 10 if smaller
- Nuts - 1 cup
- Cinnamon - a pinch (if required)
- Maple syrup or Honey - 2 - 3 tablespoons
- Roast the oats and nuts (seperately) until they turn brown. Make sure you simmer the flame to avoid over browning.
- Add a tea spoon of water to the dates and microwave it for 1 min - Mash and make a soft dough out of it.
- Mix the roasted oats to the Dates - Mix well.
- Now add the Maple syrup or Honey little by little to the Oats and Dates Mixture and mix well.
- Now add the Cinnamon - if required
- Add the nuts to the mixture and mix well.
- Tranfer the mixture to a rectangular platter and cut them into cubes of desired size.
- Top them up with couple of raisins.
- Freeze them and use them whenever needed.
- -> These bars are not going to be too dry as the ones you buy from supermarkets. They are going to be little sticky so carry a tissue while eating them on the go.
- -> If not freezed, they can stay freah and good for about a week. Considering the preparation time, I always try and make a fresh badge everyweek.
- -> Cinnamon is optional and make sure you don't add more, otherwise it is going to have a strong cinnamon smell.
- -> I used Almonds, Walnuts and Peanuts but you can try with differnet nuts like Pistachio etc.