The modern tech world children are obviously growing up with Technology. Although there are many fears about how it could affect the children both mentally and physically, as a loyal users of technology for over a decade now, we should also accept the importance and advantages of living in a Tech savvy world!
Keeping the children insulated from modern tech influenced world is highly impossible, and a responsible parent, each one of us have a huge responsibility of letting our children enjoy the benefits of technology while keeping them safe!
“What is the best age for children to have a mobile phone!?” is the most common question asked by parents and other media! While there is no certain answer to it, the best age is decided purely by every parent based on the necessity and comfort zone of the parents and children themselves.
Though it has been a while since DD1 has started Secondary and she has been asking to have her own mobile phone ever since she was in Year 6, we have been so reluctant to give her one! – first because we felt she isn’t old enough to have one, and also we thought she doesn’t need one! However, now and then we she rang us from school for one or the other thing, I (Just me and not hubby) felt, maybe we should just give her one and teach her how to be safe online rather than just not giving a phone at all!
Just in time, Monqi had approached me to see if we would be interested in letting our daughter use a smartphone and if so, would we be interested in trying out their new phone!? After listening to the security measures enforced by Monqi on their smartphone and how I could almost keep track of everything she would do on her phone, I discussed with hubby and we agreed to try Monqi!
Our first impressions on Monqi:
- A good size screen, bigger than my iPhone 7 that defintiely makes the little girl happy!
- Comes with a front screen protector and a clear case so you are free of buying such accessories to secure your phone from physical damage – The phone is ready to take away soon after initial setup!
- Standard Micro USB port for charging make life simpler.
- The front and back camera is definitely impressive to have considering the price.
- Dual Sim is a bonus – although we haven’t yet used the second slot!
What’s in the box:
Monqi is supplied with the front screen protector and a clear case to start with. There is a standard micro USB cable for charging and a USB charging plug. The stadard ear phones is also supplied. In addition to these, there is a warranty information and a instruction leaflet.
- UP TO 7 HRS TALK TIME
- 5” DISPLAY (720x1280px)
- 13.0 MP / 5.0 MP CAMERA
- ANDROID, MONQI OS
- 8 GB CAPACITY + MicroSD
- MUSIC, GAMES, APPS
Initial setup and bonding with the parent phone through Monqi app:
As with other smartphones, Monqi has to go through an initial setup and most importantly, has to be paired/bonded with parent phone to allow access to most of the apps and contacts!
The Monqi app needs to be installed on parent phone to allow access to the critical apps and other functionalities in Monqi phone.
Once the phones are paired using the app, the Monqi smartphone will be ready to install the apps and accept the contacts.
Monqi features that would impress you…
- The parent phone and the child’s phone are tightly coupled by an app – Monqi App – so you can keep track of almost everything you child does with the Monqi phone.
- Adding a new contact or downloading an app needs authorisation from the parent before proceeding. Gives you a transparency in whom your child is usually communication with and what kinds of apps he/she is using and how much time they spend on social media and other games!
- Location tracker tells you the whereabouts of your child.
- Game usage restrictions – You can restrict the amount of time they could play games and still keep track of how much time they played!
Controls on Monqi App:
Monqi lets you control the time spent on every app and other functions including texting, calling and calendar! Each app can be set a time limit and the histroy lets you access the date that details you the amount of time spent on every app and function!
The usage control tab on the Monqi app gives full freedom to the parent to decide what to allow and howmuch to allow everyday while keeping a spying eye on the children’s activities!
Considering the restricted functionalities on Monqi, I am sure most parents would prefer it to be first phone for their children but it may seem too much of a restriction on older children! In my view, regardless of how old the child is, when you decide to let her/him have their first phone, Monqi would be an ideal choice!
Not sure if every child would love it but I feel it is much needed until we develop a confidence that the child has learnt to use the mobile phone safely! Afterall, no one like advise and no children, especially the tween and teens don’t like to be controlled! But, as a parent it is our responsibility to let them understand why we are doing it in a way that they would take it right!
Overall, I am very impressed with Monqi and pleased that I could let my daughter have her own phone while I still help her to use it safely until I am convinced that she would use the phone wisely and sensibly!
What are your thoughts on Monqi? Do you think it would be your choice when you decide to give your child her own mobile? At what age do you think you would give your daughter/son their own phone!? Do you think Monqi puts your child in safe hands while using internet and mobile phone?
We would love to hear your thoughts!
-Mummy and the Cuties