Two weeks ago, I headed to central London for something very interesting and exciting. It was for filming with Onken and preparing our family favourite dish “Pasta with Homemade Pesto”. Though it was odd having so many people around me while cooking (which occasionally or almost never happens at home except for Baking and making a mess), it was fun and even after being nervous while cooking, The dish turned out tastier than expected 🙂
Being the best favourite for many, Pesto is found usually expensive to buy from stores. And hardly few people are aware that it is super quick to make at home and it is extra delicious when home made as there is a lot of love goes in it 🙂
Adding Yogurt to the Pesto makes it rich and creamy and makes the dish extra delicious.
- Walnuts/Pinenuts - 45Gms
- Basil Leaves - 100gms
- Onken Yogurt - 1 Cup
- Garlic Cloves - 2 small ones. If it is big and too strong in flavour just use 1.
- Lemon Zest - 1 Tea spoon
- 2 cups of pasta
- 1 tea spoon olive oil
- 1/4 tea spoon chilli flakes - optional
- Salt as required
- Powdered black Pepper and Cleaves for garnishing.
- Grind all the ingredients (Except Yogurt) in the food processor until finely chopped and then add Yogurt to form a smooth sauce. You can add black pepper to the sauce for flavour. This stays fresh in the fridge for 3 days.
- Boil 2 cups of Pasta, drain and keep it aside. (I add a tea spoon of Olive oil while cooking pasta so they don't stick to each even if overcooked sometimes and drain the pasta immediately)
- In a frying pan, add a tea spoon of olive oil ( I use a table spoon 🙂 ), put the chilli flakes, fry for few seconds and then add the pasta, toss them together for 3 minutes and then add the sauce - Toss them nicely - Chilli flakes add an extra taste to the dish.
- Return the mix to the serving dish, garnish with Coriander leaves and Powdered pepper.
- - Pine Nuts are usually the ingredients for the pesto sauce available in stores
- - Basil Leaves can be substituted with Parsley with a few Mint leaves or You can have 60/40 of basil and Spinach
- - Use reduced number of Garlic Cloves if the Garlic has too strong Flavour